In response to the reading and Mr. Trachtenberg.

Ben, I loved the truth that you wrote about our technologically advanced age in the year 2010, that we find ourselves. I do as well happen to like the old technologies and the styles of the 1980’s and 1900’s, which we probably will never see again in the twenty first century film productions. However, as with everything else in life, we (films) must learn to adapt and even take advantage of what falls before us. The plot of a film must reflect current times, so I will HAVE to agree that the technology used before the film production must accord with 2010.
To close, I want to remind you of the Back to the Future films of the 1980s. Going into the future, I think the year was 2015 proved to be threatening and scary with unknowns. I sometimes feel technology moves so fast that I too can not keep up. But imagine the year 2050. We will look back at 2010 and laugh. We are constantly living in a stone age. We are just constantly trying to keep up with God.

1. Ryan Wharton Said,

May 10, 2010 @ 6:42 pm

Well you both make interesting points, but I respectfully disagree especially as technology pretains to special effects. I am as old school as they come, and I will offer excellent examples of what old technology was able to achieve that this “new” technology can’t hold a candle to. The make-up and transformation scene in “An American Werewolf In London” By John Landis can’t be reproduced by any computer graphic etc. The craft of life casting, sculpting, creating these characters making them come to life, using animatronics, is something that requires real artistic talent. Anyone can cut and paste a picture and add their own little detail through a computer screen, but to actually create these characters whether they are creating creatures, monsters etc. To be able to create these effects from scratch especially with your own two hands, is a feeling that’s indescribable, then again I love doing this, and I do it in my spare time. I have a strong appreciation and passion for what makeup artists like “Rick Baker”, “Rob Bottin”, “Dick Smith”, “Stan Winston”, “Lon Chaney”, “Jack Pierce” brought to the movies with their outstanding special effects. This is not to say that I do not appreciate the technological advances that have been made in film, however, there should be, whenever possible, a combination of both old school and new technology, for film’s sake as well as for the viewers. After all, some of the most classic films of all time, predated all of the technology available today and 20 years ago.

2. christina421 Said,

May 11, 2010 @ 8:33 pm

I agree with you Elliot on the fact that we have to keep up to speed with advancing technology. I do feel that technology is growing at an abnormally increasing rate. It’s as if I turn around and there’s always something new. In the year 2050, we’ll be the older folk who starts off the conversation “I remember when I was your age and we had something called Nintendo” and most likely they’ll be playing with holograms.

RSS feed for comments on this post · TrackBack URI