My personal pitch for my final research project

A film that I always found fun and fascinating but which left me with many questions is Tom Shadyac’s 2003 film “Bruce Almighty”. Is reality flipped around in this film or is it possible that it can be a non-fiction and actually happen. How do atheists react to this film? Does the film present God of a certain religion. Race plays a huge factor, as Morgan Freeman acts as God. For thousands of years, as the European White man was dominant, how could God possibly be African American?! What type of language and message is being sent to the viewer? Is there anything to learn or become inspired from the film? The narrative sturcture interesting, as its presented as a cause and effect type of way. The audio and visual aspects add to the “power” of god and the weakness of the humans here on earth. There are many interesting aspects and narrative structure that can be pointed out in this twenty first century film.

1. Amy Herzog Said,

April 20, 2010 @ 11:31 pm

Hi Elliot,

I’m wondering if you’ve started researching this project. I’m curious about how this idea can evolve into a thesis. I’m not seeing a direct connection yet between the ideas you mention here and the theories we are covering– certainly the readings on race might relate, but I’m not sure how we might be able to incorporate the religious angle from a theoretical perspective. Let me know how your ideas are evolving– it might be a good idea to sit down and brainstorm in person.

RSS feed for comments on this post · TrackBack URI