Language/Structure/Narrative/Genre

Language sets a powerful tone for film. Perhaps the entire cinema experience is a language between the film and the viewer. The language can be political, economical, religious, fiction, non-fiction, etc. The combination of the visual and audio aspect bring the language impact to a reality. All other forms of media, radio, pictures, music, etc include just one of those mediums either audio or visual. Even in silent film I do believe there is an audio impact. My opinion is there may be even more of an audio impact? Why?! Because as the viewer I am forced to interpret what the producer of the film is trying to send me. Regardless if I translated the language derived correctly or incorrectly it forced me to apply my own language and audio to the film. I believe that is the true “semiotics” of film. It works with all forms of media as well. If I read a novel, my mind and brain describes to me what the scene of character physically looks like. So I disagree with Metz from Film Theory and criticism and I do believe film is 100% a language, just like any other language. The film is just thousands of shots. One single shot is the same as a photograph to me. No one denies the value of a photograph. The sound track is comprised of music and words. Words and music send meaning and a “Language”. The entire film as a whole is a structure with a fully developed back bone. Daniel Dayan may not like the fictional aspect of semiology, but I do!. Dayan writes “The imaginary can be characterized through the circumstances of its genesis or through the consequences of disappearance”. Like an infant, the film is controlling us and we have little power to decide where the “language” is heading towards. The play out of the world that is controlled by God could all be imaginary to us. Life can be imaginary. Cinema sets us in an imaginary state of mind. The imagination of film to the viewer (sort of like a dream) is extremely exciting and unique. If it is our first time watching the film, we are in the category of the unknown. We are not sure of anything or what will happen. Going back to life, how do we know every day is imaginary or some type of game that God is playing on us. We are headed in some sort of direction in life; to where, we are not sure. The film structure heads us into an unknown direction.

Perhaps as Thomas Schatz writes, we are used to the usual in film. Male dominance, the female body as something really beautiful including “streight” sexual relations, dark scenes are something that is danger or hidden etc. We usually expect a happy ending (usually with a wedding). That is all part of the art of film and its Auteur theory. We expect the film to take us somewhere because 99% of the films we watch take us down that happy path. Sure, there will be a climax which involves trouble but it all gets better from there. Or does it?!